About the Church Building

Church Architecture

Architects: Bruce Brown & Brisley

Exterior: Credit Valley limestone (grey & buff) brought to the site in cut blocks and faced by hand on site. Laid by skilled Italian stone masons. Window & door framing is in grey Indiana limestone.

Interior: Stonework fashioned from fossilized buff limestone from Bath, England. Brought to Canada after WW II as ship ballast.

Wood Trusses & Ceiling: Fashioned from British Columbia fir

Pews & Furnishings: Canadian white oak

Size:     119L X 50W X 46H ft. Total Floor area 5,000 sq. ft.

History

1894    East Toronto Baptist Church organized

1899    First church erected on Gerrard St. one block east of Main

1929    Present Sunday school building opened in December

1952    Sod turned for present sanctuary March 23rd

1952    Corner stone laid June 4th

1953    First Sunday service Sept. 20th

Calvary Baptist Church
Switch to desktop version
Secured By miniOrange